For one of my requirement, I was trying to create a Blank Site Collection on SharePoint 2013. To do so, I navigate to
Central Administration -> Create Site Collections.
But I could not see the template called a Blank Site Collection listed on the Create Site Collection Page.
Then later identified that the Blank Site Collection template, by default will not be listed here. To make it listed we need to do the following steps. There are two ways of configuration.
2.Modify the server files.
- Open the SharePoint 2013 Management Shell.
- Enter Command $template = Get-SPWebTemplate “STS#1”
- Enter Command New-SPSite -Url “<URL for the new site collection>” -OwnerAlias “<domain\user>” -Template $template
Modify the server files
- 1.Navigate to the following location: c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web
- 2. Server Extension\15\TEMPLATE\1033\XML
- Open the WebTemp.xml
- Make 2 copies of the WebTemp.xml file and place them on the desktop. (a copy is for a backup and the other is to modify)
- Identify the below tag
<Configuration ID=”1″ Title=”Blank Site” Hidden=”TRUE” ImageUrl=”/_layouts/15/images/stbs.png?rev=23″ Description=”A blank site for you to customize based on your requirements.” DisplayCategory=”Collaboration” AllowGlobalFeatureAssociations=”False” > </Configuration>
- Change the Hidden Attribute to False. i.e. the tag will be
<Configuration ID=”1″ Title=”Blank Site” Hidden=”Flase” ImageUrl=”/_layouts/15/images/stbs.png?rev=23″ Description=”A blank site for you to customize based on your requirements.” DisplayCategory=”Collaboration” AllowGlobalFeatureAssociations=”False” > </Configuration>
- Save the file as the same name as the original (WebTemp.xml)
- Do an IISRESET
- Now, come back to the Central Administration. Do a Refresh. You can see the Template.
This solution is brought to you by our SharePoint professionals…
Softree Consulting employs SharePoint consultants, We are a technology services provider with the aim to help companies achieve exceptional performance through SharePoint. Our dedicated team of SharePoint consultants have the right bent of mind to understand and execute customer requirements. Be it web part development, migrating from SharePoint 2010/2013 to SharePoint 2013/2016, Office 365, SharePoint hosted apps development or something else in SharePoint, we strive to deliver the best